Want to share your terrain tips?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 n815e

n815e

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

So as I am pondering my budding Rezolution project the thing most on my mind is terrain.
To me, terrain is just as important, if not moreso, as the models themselves for a good game.
Sci fi terrain is new to me, I'm mostly a historical gamer and even when I played 40K so long ago it was at a club where I didn't make any of the terrain.

So if you've got any tips for me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking an urban setting. City boards are fairly easy to come up with, especially with all the new mdf buildings that are coming out. But I'd like to do building interiors where the entire table is a level of a building or lab, etc. and don't know where to start.

Anybody want to share their tips with me?

#2 Bryan Borgman

Bryan Borgman

Organized Events Coordinator

• Aberrant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

Hi there. I too love terrain. For interiors, I've used a lot of stuff from http://megaminis.com/. They have office chairs, desks, filing cabinets, pool tables, vending machines, waste baskets, telephones on poles, fire hydrants, etc. I also use http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/ for things like bulkhead doors, hardpoints (although Aberrant now has fantastic HPTs), etc. Armorcast.com and AchesonCreations.com are also both fantastic terrain sites.
Bryan K. Borgman
.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.
Dravani, Ronin, and Vatacina Player -> basically anything other than those darn C.S.O.

Warlands - The Soundtrack and Rezolution - The Soundtrack are now both available!

#3 TonyK

TonyK

Co-owner of Aberrant, writer and head of publishing

• Aberrant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • Interests:Co-owner of Aberrant, writer and head of publishing

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi N815e

For interior walls i have either used foamboard (sometimes called foamcore) or plastic sheets you can get a most hobby shops. There are loads of things made by a company called plastruct http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html that are very useful.

The biggest thing with interiors is to make sure you have enough room to move the models around, I have fallen foul of that one a couple of times.

One thing I have been wanting to do for a long time but I never get the time is to make some interior wall sections that can be moved around and placed in different plans to make different variants of rooms. Something that will be good to use when one of the newer ideas we have for a Rezolution expansion gets worked on. ;)

Cheers

Tony
Co-owner of Aberrant, writer and head of publishing.

Warlands and Rezolution CSO player and participant in the Big Bash at Origins and GenCon.

#4 ironblood

ironblood

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:all things post apocalypse and dystopic.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

what I would do: Make your office rooms like little one story buildings with no roof, only diference is the outside walls of your buildings should look like inside walls. You could, if you wanted to, even do a series of modular halls and rooms(basically a terrain base with nothing but carpet or tile textured on it for the halls and then something similar with walls butted up to the edge of its base for the rooms)

hopefully this helps show what im trying to say: |W|= wall, R=room floor base, H= hallway base ][= where two pieces meet up, ...= spacers(ignore the periods)

|W|........ ..|W|.......... ......|W|...........|W|
[RRRRRRRR][HHHHHHH][RRRRRRRR]. yep this little picture gets mangled no matter how i try to adjust it :(

Hope the above bits makes sense, as for indoor furniture i'd go with bryan's suggestions, they have lots of neat furniture. another idea for lab terrain is copplestone castings, he does a decent bit of lockers and lab equipment in resin iirc.
The sun went down and the ground started sort of grinding.
A blinding light tore across the sky.
A cyclone swept the landscape and left it completely flattened out.
And several twirls of smoke unfolded like gigantic flowers.

The way the morning broke was quite unusual.

#5 n815e

n815e

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, this is all useful.

Storage space is an issue for me (how many don't have this problem?) and I'd like to be able to figure out some way to make it modular and yet convincing.

If you've ever visited the Geektactica blog -- http://geektactica.b...ure-gaming.html -- his gothic horror campaign is wonderful to follow and this is sort of what I have in mind for my own games. One thing he has done is create set locations for his campaign. That may make creating terrain easier as it would be more focused.

#6 Bryan Borgman

Bryan Borgman

• Aberrant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:18 AM

Storage is always an issue. I have enough laser-cut wooden houses + plastic / scratch-built stuff to cover a 6x4' table. I also have an Antarctic Research Outpost, a 4x4 cemetery table, and a nearly complete jungle table. I use huge Sterilite tubs.
Bryan K. Borgman
.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.
Dravani, Ronin, and Vatacina Player -> basically anything other than those darn C.S.O.

Warlands - The Soundtrack and Rezolution - The Soundtrack are now both available!

#7 n815e

n815e

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

I was thinking of those plastic tubs.

#8 Grugach

Grugach

Executor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Greetings,
An option to consider is PDF/Cardstock terrain for walls and floor. WorldWorks Games even has some building interiors available.
Their Terrainlink system is great for storing and transporting, although they don't have scifi interiors ready yet that I'm aware of using Terrainlink.

There are also some good card stock models for vehicles and things, but I find if I mix cardstcock buildings with 3D scenery items that I've purchased or made myself, I get a very nice result for tabletop play.

Game ON!

#9 Zombie

Zombie

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

Hirstarts molds are great for that if you want to invest the time. You can make modular rooms and halls, and then assemble them any way you like for Offices, Labs, Industrial settings, etc... different each time. And when you are done, the individual rooms and corridors can be stored neatly in a box or tub, and tucked away till next time.

#10 n815e

n815e

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

I've considered Hirstarts before, but the casting seems intimidating. I don't know why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users